Sunday 14 December 2014

Assignment 4: Batik (Lecture and Process)

Yet another new assignment awaits us. This assignment involves a trip to the batik house called Jadi Batek which was located in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

This was actually our second time doing a batik. The first time was during our previous semester, which was semester 1. We went to Terengganu, where Malaysia's biggest and largest batik factory was located. It was a 3 days 2 nights educational trip and it was really tiring but we also gained a lot of knowledge about batik and Malaysian culture as well as tons of new experiences that most of us never had the chance to have.

We were instructed to get into groups of 4 and decide on a theme for our batik. The size of the batik was A3 each and all 4 of our batik have to be related to one another. We were also told that the juniors of our course will be joining us for this assignment. My group consists of Shukie, Wei Yi, Chloe and myself. We have made a few sketches, which were shown to the lecturer and these are some of it:





In the end, we chose the theme "Shoes in our Style" for this batik assignment. We then proceed with the sketches for our theme. These are some of the pictures taken during the process of this assignment:




She's a group mate of mine for this assignment.

This is my sketch for my batik. I have used some references, such as:

He is a character from the anime and manga, called Tokyo Ghoul. He is my favourite character throughout both the anime and manga and that is why I chose to use the tattoos on him as part of my design for my batik.


 This tattoo is located on his neck, it goes around his neck, starting from the front. It is a Latin quote written in Greek letters. It is read as "Nec possum tecum vivere, nec sine te" and it means "I can neither live with you, nor without you".

This is the sun-looking tattoo on his chest.


 These are Zanotti Giuseppe sneakers. I have always liked his designs and I used his collections as references for the sneakers that will be on my batik design. 

High-low skirts have always been my favourite and my friends know me well enough to know about this too.

 This is a combination of our sketches that we will be doing for our batik.

These are pictures of the process during the making of this batik assignment at Jadi Batek, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia:



We tested the colours on the gaps given, in between all 4 of our batik cloth, before colouring onto our artwork.






No comments:

Post a Comment