Sunday 14 December 2014

Assignment 5: Paint to Music

This is our last class of 2-Dimensional Design with Ms Lisa as the semester is coming to an end as well as because Ms Lisa is leaving Taylor's University. This assignment is to paint something or anything as long as we follow what we feel at the moment. Ms Lisa prepared classical music while Wei Yi prepared contemporary music according to every students in my class' taste of music.

This is the artwork that I painted while listening to contemporary music. In my opinion, contemporary music is more emotional due to the lyrics in the song. It makes me think of the past incidents and friendships that never lasted. This is because the songs that were played that day was sad songs such as Bruno Mars' When I Was Your Man, Avril Lavigne's My Happy Ending, When You're Gone, Taylor Swift's Teardrops On My Guitar, Infinite's Can You Smile and many more.

There is the lower half of a heart at the top right corner of the paper whereas there is a top half of a heart at the lower right corner of the paper. The colour surrounding the heart on the top right shows the unhappiness, sorrow and pain, that is why it is in darker colours whereas the bottom right is surrounded by brighter colours, showing that it is filled with joy, content and happiness. It shows that the heart is being hurt and was happy for another moment but was hurt again It's like a never ending cycle of the heart falling form the lower right being all happy and content with life but it falls and back to the top right and became all sad and hurt and it goes on and on. The footsteps are getting bigger gradually and it shows after all the hurt, betrayals and lies that we have been through, we let go of it all and we grow up to become a stronger person.

The mixtures of colours in the middle of the paper represents different feelings that I had at that moment. Blue and green colour was calming, but the red shows anger and frustration whereas the yellow colour shows joy and happiness. It all shows the mixed feelings that I encountered throughout the class and there are a few bubbles in it which signifies that I was drowning in all the mixed emotions that I had at that moment due to all the different songs.

This was painted on the top left corner and the words says "can you :) ? (can you smile ?)". I wrote that because it was one of the songs title and it made me think a lot of people with split personalities. There are dripping effects dripping from the words, as if it was crying, signifying how ironic the phrase sounded when it says "can you smile" but it is crying at the same time. Moreover, I splattered white colour onto the words purposely covering part of the words, showing that people with split personality would cover themselves up with a mask (white spots) in order to hide what they really are (the words).

This is the outcome of the artwork that I did during the classical music. The first song that came on was Pachelbel's Canon and it is one of my favourite classical piece. I enjoyed the music and the feeling of 'unity' popped into my heart and mind. Maybe this is due to the fact that classical musics are played by orchestras and they are all very united in terms of producing music because if one player played the notes wrongly to at the wrong beat, it can be heard easily. Therefore, I started drawing lots of circles of different sizes. Some with matching gradients, some with non-matching gradients. This is because no matter how united a group of people are, there will always be arguments between one another and there will be people whom are called as the outcast of the group. This is why I linked all the matching-gradient-coloured-balls but left out the ones that were more unsightly - such as the ball mixed with the colour blue and brown - compared to the red and orange that were well mixed. 

These are some of the artworks that my classmates produced during the Paint to Music final assignment:






Although sometimes we may be stressed out due to all the assignments that were calling for us and taking up our sleeping and resting hours, but I personally enjoyed her class the most. I learned a lot of interesting things about our course and experienced quite a lot too, including the final assignment for the last semester's Principles of Design, which we were required to create a game for out BBQ event. That was the first time I have created a game with my friends. Although most of us had acrylic paint all over ourselves, but it was a really fun evening. It has been really fun to have Ms Lisa to teach my class for a year and all that has happened and the interesting things that we have learnt throughout her classes will remain in my memory for as long as I live. Last but not least, thank you Ms Lisa, for all the things that you have taught us patiently throughout the whole year. I really appreciate your opinions about my artwork, your continuos positive reinforcements and advices that you gave made me do better. Once again, thank you very much :)

No comments:

Post a Comment