Wednesday 1 July 2015

Surrealism

Our lecturer gave us our next assignment the week after we handed in our photo touch up assignment. After that, we were required to show him either some sketches or ideas to the lecturer. My idea was to have a female coming out from an opened book in a very fantasy-like area. It may sound simple when I put it that way. I shall elaborate more on how I got my surrealism assignment together to form my final piece.

First off, I looked up on photos of female models and I found one that suits my idea:



I wanted to choose the second one, using the one where her back is facing the audience. I was thinking that it would make viewer feel that the female was a mysterious one. But I still decided to go with the first picture and the fact that it was in black and white did not stop me. Well, the photo touch up assignment came in handy!

This is how the picture looks like after I coloured it.

After that, I searched for an opened book and chose one only and immediately edited it onto my art board. The picture above is the one that I have chosen.
I also looked up on long-haired wigs due to my chosen female model having her hair tied up. I decided to have the female's hair in red in hopes that she would have the effect of a very fiery and radiant person.

I have also chosen a forest that looks a little bit creepy but has a tinge of fantasy feel to it because of its colour and the shadows of the trees that were fading away in the background.

After editing for what felt like hours due to the fact that I was still not that great with photo editing using Photoshop, I have finally produced my surrealism artwork. This is what my final piece looks like:

I made the hair look like its flying around as distorted her body on purpose to show that she was appearing from the book. I also made the forest a little darker than the actual photo and added some swirly, sparkly effects for the sake of making it seem more fantasy-like yet magical.


No comments:

Post a Comment