Wednesday 26 March 2014

21st March 2014 (Week 8)
Seow Jie Yi (0318873)
Introduction to Photography
Exercise 4a: Rule of Thirds

LECTURE
Today we started off with quizzes about The Zone System through Twitter. After that, Mr Vinod started the class by saying that what we have learnt during Principles of Design about the Rule of Thirds is applicable to this week's introduction to photography class.


He explained that having a subject matter in the middle, as the image above, makes the photo looks still, mundane and uninteresting. 


Next, he talked about how the image above effects the viewers. When a subject matter is off centre, it makes the viewers curious as to why it is placed off centre. Other than that, it still gives people the feeling of imbalance and it will seem as though it has a lot of white space.


When the subject matter is placed closer to the frame and further from the middle, it gives off an unpleasant feeling and also a sort of tension to it. 


Intersecting lines, as the image above, is called the focal points. These are the strategic spot to place the subject matter to make a photo more interesting and will cause people to think about the photo and feel curious about it.


This is an example of a photo using the Rule of Thirds and intersecting lines. The subject matter took up 2 intersecting points. This photo will make people wonder 'what is he staring at' because there is a lot of spaces on the left side of the photo and also because he is looking at that direction.


This is called a counterpoint where the bigger subject matter is the main focus while the smaller subject matter is the least focus.


This is an example of a photo using the Rule of Thirds and counterpoints. The subject matter on the right is the main focus as it is bigger than the subject matter on the left of the photo.

Besides the Rule of Third, there are principles that can ale be used when composing and considering elements within a photo.
The principles are:
        - Domination / Emphasis
        - Isolation
        - Balance
        - Repetition
        - Alignment
        - Contrast
        - Rhythm
        - Symmetry / Asymmetry
        - Harmony

Exercise 4a. Rule of Thirds

INSTRUCTION
1. Capture 3 images adhering to the Rule of Thirds.
2. A photo with one person using the Rule of Thirds.
3. A photo with three person using the Rule of Thirds.
4. A photo with a scenery using the Rule of Thirds.

WORK

1 person
Aperture: f5   Shutter speed: 1/650   ISO: 400



3 person
Aperture: f4.5   Shutter speed: 1/1000   ISO: 800


A scenery
Aperture: f3.5   Shutter speed: 1/250   ISO: 200


SCREENSHOT



Exercise 4b. Principles Underpinning Composition

INSTRUCTION
Capture images adhering to any of the mentioned principles below:
- Domination / Emphasis
- Isolation 
- Balance
- Repetition Alignment
- Contrast
- Rhythm
- Symmetry / Asymmetry Harmony

Work

Aperture: f4   Shutter speed: 1/500   ISO: 400
Principles: Symmetry, Harmony, Balance

Aperture: f4.5   Shutter speed: 1/100   ISO: 200
Principle: Isolation



Aperture: f5   Shutter speed: 1/100   ISO: 200
Principle: Domination / Emphasis

Aperture: f3.5   Shutter speed: 1/100   ISO: 200
Principle: Repetition Alignment

SCREENSHOT




FEEDBACK
General feedback: Again, Mr Vinod reminded us that the reflection that we wrote for our eportfolio is important. Therefore, he wants us to write as much as possible. He also said that if someone is not fluent in English and might be worried that he will make a lot of mistakes, he or she is allowed to write in point form. He also generally told the class that most of the photo that we took for our previous assignment is kind of mundane. He wants the photo to be more interesting which also requires more imagination and creativity. Hence, he told us that we could redo the previous assignments if we want to. 

Specific feedback: Mr Vinod said that exercise 3a, which is the previous post in the blog, is relatively accurate except for the dark shade which did not seem to be dark enough. Besides that, he said that the photo that I have taken for exercise 3b was mundane and lacked imagination. He also told me that I may redo it if i want to.

REFLECTION
Throughout the lecture and the assignments that I have done, I have learnt and expanded my knowledge about photography. In this specific assignment, I have learnt the Rule of Third. I noticed that if I applied the Rule of Third into my photo, it makes my photo much more interesting than the subject matter that were plainly taken in the middle of the frame. This also arises questions and curiosity of people about why I decided to take a photo with the subject matter at either the left, right, bottom or the upper side of the frame.

When I went through my album, I realised that I do take photos with the subject matter off centre. It occurs to me that sometimes I should take the photo with the subject matter not being in the middle. I only realised this when my sister asked me 'why am I not in the centre' and I told her, ' I don't know, but I think it looks better' and she also agrees to my answer. Usually, I would first visualise it in my mind about how I want it to turn out before I take a photo of something and it unknowingly told me to adjust the subject matter onto the side. Furthermore, I have always liked it better with the subject matter being on the right side of the frame, which is the first column on the right of the gridlines. 

I first heard of the Rule of Thirds during Principles of Design class and it was just the day before Introduction to Photography classes. After learning about it, I understood more about the Rule of Thirds and I hope I could apply more of this rule into my future works in order to get more interesting and creative photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment