Monday 10 February 2014

Introduction to Photography - My First Class

7th February 2014 (Week 1)
Seow Jie Yi (0318873)
Introduction to Photography
Exercise 1

LECTURE  
Mr Vinod introduced himself as the lecturer for the elective that I have chosen - Introduction to Photography - and he gave us a briefing about the subject.

He taught us how to choose a good camera that is both suitable and affordable for us. I have to be honest that I have never heard of CCD until Mr Vinod talked about it in class. He shared information regarding CCD sizes, the power of the lens and how it effects the quality of the pictures.

Other than that, Mr Vinod showed us some of his photographs that he took during his career as a Professional Photographer. The lecturer told us to join a Facebook group that was made for students who are taking Photography classes so that we could share information with one another to gain more knowledge on what we are learning.

INSTRUCTION Almost to the end of lecture, Mr Vinod gave us an assignment. Choose 5 photos that you like which were captured by yourself and 5 photos that you like which were taken by professional photographers. Next, prepare a slide show of all the 10 photos with its descriptions and explanations as to why and how I came to like the photos that I have chosen. All of us will have to do a presentation in our next class.

EXERCISE 1
  Bali, Indonesia
2013
Canon EOS 600D
I have always liked playing around with monochrome in the settings as the picture gives me a sense of nostalgia. In my opinion, I think that this photo is one of my favorite because it is a candid photo and it has a touch of serenity to it
.

  My classroom in High School

2013

Canon EOS 600D

Although this photo does not have any beautiful scenery or an array of colors but it captures my attention because of the meaning  to the words on the board. I think that this statement is true.

  Osaka,  Japan

2012

Canon EOS 600D

This photo holds a piece of my memory when I visited Japan. The white colored thing which were wrapped around the tree branches are words of encouragement from the shrine. If a person likes the words of encouragement and hopes that it would come true, they have to tie it onto the tree branch.

  Osaka, Japan

2012

Canon EOS 600D

This old man sat  on the bank of the river and started drawing the scenery in front of him. This photo depicts that his passion for art has no limits as he was willing to draw on a freezing day during winter season.

  Osaka, Japan
2013

Canon EOS 600D

The scenery at Hachiman-bori has been one of the hot spots in Osaka, especially this river where it is famous  for being in various television programes. However, it being a famous destination is not the reason as to why I chose this photo. The reason is simple, this photo reminds me of the saying that goes ‘the grass is always greener on the other side’.

   
  Botswana, Africa
Frans Lanting

The color of the sky is truly jaw dropping. Besides that, the silhouette made by the elephant the trees and the shadow that was casted onto the river  just made the photo even more mesmerizing and breathtaking.

 
  Minnesota, United States

2013

Tom Sameulson

This photo amazes me to no end. The photographer must have failed quite a number of times before he was able to take this photo, especially setting the shutter speed. Although it is sad to see the mouse being taken away to be made the owl’s lunch but I have to admit that this is one great photo.

  Jaipur, India

2013

Leeuwenberg

Holi Festival is an ancient hindu religious festival celebrated no matter friend or stranger, rich or poor, man or woman, children and elders. These children may be a bunch of strangers but in this photo we can see that they were having fun. Most of all, the bright colored dry powder is the one that caught my eye when I was browsing through photos.

Celebes Sea, Indonesia

2013

Liang Huan Chuan

I fell in love with the color of the ocean when I first saw this photo. Then, I realized that there was a mother and her child on a small boat, probably used to fishing. This is a small fishing village and most of the villagers make a living from fishing in this ocean. Thus, this photo made me think that there are always a pro and con in life.

Beech Forest, Germany

2011

Martin Hertel

Even though the only colors found in this photo is blue, white and black but it intrigues me. The branches that comes in from all angles made it look as if the photo was actually taken with the fisheye effect. To me, this looks more like a shattered screen and that is why I chose this photo because it somehow gave me the optical illusion feeling when I am looking at it.

SCREENSHOTS 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment